Summer Internship Program
Our Summer Internship program offers youth, ages 16-21 who utilize Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) or 504 plans (Accommodations) a unique temporary work experience during the summer months.
Each student will complete a 40 hour paid Work Based Learning Experience (Internship)
- Thurston County Internships are between July 28 and August 28.
- Lewis County Internships are August 13 – August 28.
Another component of the program is to complete a remote soft skills class called UPLIFT managed by PacMtn.
The program is full for 2020.
Students will develop a resume and cover letter and receive a work assessment from the site supervisor which will be utilized at the completion of the program. Employment experience can lead the student to find jobs more easily upon graduation. There is also a stipend for completing the 55 hour work experience, of approximately $660.
Transportation – There will be some commitment required by family members or friends to support the student as needed by helping them get to worksite, to a bus line or a central location. Transportation will be discussed at the intake meeting with Morningside staff.
Eligibility Requirements (Summer Internship Applicant Criteria)
- Student between ages of 16-21 and has a guardian signature and social security number.
- Student is not currently employed.
- Student can (with attendant support) care for personal needs.
- Student (with attendant support and safeguards) displays behaviors that are not dangerous to self or others.
- Student must have to commit 85 total hours over one cohort period (see dates above) between business hours.
- Student is currently (as of June-Sept 2019) enrolled in school on an IEP/504 at a High School in one of the following school districts: Rainer, Yelm, Tenino, Rochester, North Thurston, Tumwater, Olympia or a school with majority of enrollees are on Free/Reduced Lunch and has a student ID number.
- Students’ support person can transport to and from work shuttle or to program location.
Registration is open! Fill out attached form and return to:
Diane Lee Crawford
PO Box 7936, Olympia, WA 98507